Apple has began widespread inner testing of a number of new Mac fashions with next-generation M2 chips, in response to developer logs, a part of its push to make extra highly effective computer systems utilizing homegrown processors.
The firm is testing a minimum of 9 new Macs with 4 completely different M2-based chips — the successors to the present M1 line — with third-party apps in its App Store, in response to the logs, which have been corroborated by individuals accustomed to the matter. The transfer is a key step within the improvement course of, suggesting that the brand new machines could also be nearing launch within the coming months.
The M2 chip is Apple’s newest try and push the boundaries of pc processing after a cut up with Intel in recent times. Apple has progressively changed Intel chips with its personal silicon, and now appears to be like to make additional good points with a extra superior line.
After years of sluggish progress, the Mac pc division loved a resurgence the previous two years, helped partially by house workplace employees shopping for new gear. The enterprise generated US$35.2-billion in gross sales the previous fiscal 12 months, about 10% of Apple’s whole.
Even although testing is way alongside in some circumstances, there are not any ensures that every one the fashions will finally be launched. A spokeswoman for Cupertino, California-based Apple declined to touch upon the plans.
The new machines being examined embrace:
- A MacGuide Air with an M2 chip, codenamed J413. This Mac could have eight CPU cores and 10 cores for graphics. That’s up from eight graphics cores within the present MacGuide Air.
- A Mac mini with an M2 chip, codenamed J473. This machine could have the identical specs because the MacGuide Air. There’s additionally an “M2 Pro” variation, codenamed J474, in testing.
- An entry-level MacGuide Pro with an M2 chip, codenamed J493. This too could have the identical specs because the MacGuide Air.
- A 14-inch MacGuide Pro with M2 Pro and “M2 Max” chips, codenamed J414. The M2 Max chip has 12 CPU cores and 38 graphics cores, up from 10 CPU cores and 32 graphics cores within the present mannequin, in response to the logs. It may even have 64 gigabytes of reminiscence.
- A 16-inch MacGuide Pro with M2 Pro and M2 Max chips, codenamed J416. The 16-inch MacGuide Pro’s M2 Max could have the identical specs because the 14-inch MacGuide Pro model.
- A Mac Pro, codenamed J180. This machine will embrace a successor to the M1 Ultra chip used within the Mac Studio pc.
Apple can also be testing a Mac mini with an M1 Pro chip, the identical processor used within the entry-level 14-inch and 16-inch MacGuide Pros at this time. That machine is codenamed J374. The firm has examined an M1 Max model of the Mac mini as nicely, however the brand new Mac Studio might make these machines redundant.
The new MacGuide Air, low-end MacGuide Pro and new Mac mini are scheduled to debut as early as this 12 months, with a minimum of two Macs deliberate for launch across the center of the 12 months. The new MacGuide Air is destined to be the product’s greatest redesign in its historical past, including a thinner body and MagSafe charging.
Logs maintained by builders have precisely predicted specs of upcoming Macs previously. Last 12 months, logs revealed that the MacGuide Pro chips can be named the M1 Pro and M1 Max.
Apple hasn’t up to date the MacGuide Air, Mac mini or the entry-level MacGuide Pro because it launched the unique M1 chip in November 2020. However, the 14-inch and 16-inch MacGuide Pros went on sale extra not too long ago, in October of final 12 months. — (c) 2022 Bloomberg LP