The opposition Democratic Alliance has introduced its intention to desk the Preferential Procurement Policy Framework Amendment Act for public remark.
The invoice proposes scrapping the present Broad-Based Black Economic Empowerment (BBBEE) Act and making a number of key amendments to the Preferential Procurement Policy Framework Act (PPPFA).
“The proposed Preferential Procurement Policy Framework Amendment Bill will seek to give priority to a tenderer’s competency and remove the BBBEE consideration from the Preferential Procurement Policy Framework,” the DA’s Dean Macpherson mentioned.
“Instead, preference should be given under certain circumstances, to a company which makes the most positive socio-economic impact as measured by a variety of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The Bill will also seek to repeal the Broad-Based Black Economic Empowerment Act.”
Macpherson famous that one of the crucial highly effective methods authorities is ready to implement coverage, is thru the way through which it selects firms to do enterprise with.
“This proposed invoice will underneath sure circumstances recognise firms which take advantage of constructive socio-economic influence as measured by quite a lot of Sustainable Development Goals as a substitute of BBBEE standing.
“However, competency and pricing will take priority, as effective and cost-efficient service delivery will benefit those reliant on government services the most.”
The DA has beforehand mentioned its proposed SDG mannequin has a number of ‘benefits’ over the present BBBEE mannequin, together with:
- It will leverage the numerous authorities procurement expenditure of just about a trillion rand, roughly 22% of our GDP, to incentivise a personal firm’s contributions in the direction of attaining SDGs;
- The most vital issue for presidency procurement will stay value and performance as the aptitude to execute and lowest value will profit these reliant on authorities companies probably the most, and in flip, result in the best upliftment of society as an entire;
- Root causes of inequality will probably be instantly addressed with out counting on ineffective trickle-down redress;
- The SDG mannequin will goal the susceptible and deprived instantly, nearly all of whom have been categorised as black underneath Apartheid, and make it tougher for individuals who don’t require advantages to accrue them. This can even stem rampant corruption and patronage;
- The SDG mannequin will present for 17 totally different targets, which firms deal with primarily based on what they are going to have probably the most sectoral influence on;
- The SDG mannequin is globally acknowledged, and is more and more worldwide finest apply, whereas present laws is very localised and never internationally accepted;
- The SDG mannequin might encourage funding in firms with sturdy SDG consciousness and commitments. The PPPFA tends to discourage native and worldwide funding.