Collingwood star Jordan De Goey has been released from police custody in Manhattan after pleading not guilty to charges of “forcible touching and assault” following an alleged incident at a bar.
The report said De Goey and Dyson were at the PHD Rooftop Lounge at the Dream Hotel around 2.20am when they began dancing with a 35-year-old woman and allegedly groped her. That led to a scuffle with a 37-year-old man, who was allegedly punched and kicked.
Catch all the ICC T20 World Cup action live & exclusive to Fox Cricket, available on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial today!
The woman then called police, who arrested the duo at the scene and charged them with “forcible touching and assault”.
De Goey faced court on Sunday afternoon (AEDT) where he pleaded not guilty to the charges. He was released from custody but is due to reappear — in-person, at this stage — on December 8.
The New York City Police Department told ABC News Australia all parties involved in the incident were intoxicated and didn’t previously know each other, adding the victims refused medical attention.
Collingwood released a statement on Sunday morning, saying it was aware of the US-based report involving De Goey.
“The club is attempting to contact Jordan, who is in the USA, to determine the facts of the matter,” a Magpies statement read.
“The club will not be in a position to comment further until it has done so.”
The AFL also released a statement on Sunday, confirming it’d been contacted by the Magpies, who were “attempting to contact Jordan to obtain further information”.
“The AFL Integrity Department will look into the matter once more information is obtained, until then the AFL is not in a position to make comment at this stage,” the AFL statement read.
Prior to the alleged incident, footage emerged of De Goey and Dyson preparing to go out for the night in New York.
In a series of ‘story’ clips posted to Dyson’s Instagram account, the duo were seen dancing in bath robes at a nightclub. One clip showed De Goey and Dyson topless, with Dyson drinking straight from a bottle.
It comes two months after De Goey had indecent assault charges relating to an alleged incident in Kew in 2015 withdrawn, with the court ordered to pay his legal costs.
The Magpies forward-midfielder was disciplined by the club in 2017 after he was involved in a fight that saw him break his hand. He initially gave the club a false story that he sustained the injury while playing with his dog, leading to Collingwood suspending him for three weeks — after his hand had fully healed — and handing him a $5000 fine.
De Goey has been in the US over recent weeks undergoing an intense off-season training program ahead of the 2022 AFL season.
Collingwood football boss Graham Wright recently said the club would this off-season prioritise opening contract talks with De Goey, as well as fellow pre-agent stars Darcy Moore and Brayden Maynard.
De Goey is contracted to the Magpies until the end of the 2022 season, where he’d become eligible for free agency.
He’s booted 155 goals from 118 games for the Pies after being drafted with Pick 5 in the 2014 draft.
MORE TO COME