A blind date evolved into a four-day struggle when a COVID-19 lockdown left a Chinese woman stranded in the man’s quarters.
According to BBC News, the COVID-19 detainee, named only as Ms. Wang, explained how she got herself in the “not ideal” situation for four days on the social media platform WeChat last week.
On January 6, the 30-year-old woman met her blind date for a home-cooked dinner in Zhengzhou while dealing with a coronavirus outbreak.
“Just after I arrived in Zhengzhou, there was an outbreak, and his community was put under lockdown, and I could not leave,” she told Shanghai-based outlet The Paper (via AFP News) on Tuesday.
“I’m getting old now; my family introduced me to 10 matches… The fifth date wanted to show off his cooking skills and invited me over to his house for dinner,” she added.
Wang discovered the entire area had gone into a quick lockdown just as she was preparing to leave after the meal, she said.
China typically isolates villages after residents are infected with COVID-19. These rapid lockdowns are part of the country’s strict zero-COVID plan to immediately stamp out local pandemics, including mass testing and extended quarantine.
Wang was stranded at her date’s house for days after she could not escape. She shared videos on social media of her incredible co-living experience, showing her partner preparing meals for her, sweeping the floor, and working on his laptop.
“During quarantine, I feel that apart from him being reticent like a wooden mannequin, everything else about him is pretty good. He cooks, cleans the house, and works. Although his cooking isn’t very good, he’s still willing to spend time in the kitchen; I think that’s great,” she said in a CNN report.
Wang’s encounter became a top hot trend on Weibo, China’s Twitter-like platform.
Wang stated in a Monday post that after her first video became popular, she removed it from her account.
According to the video (per The New York Post), the man has received calls from friends. She believes what she did had a significant impact on his life. Thus she has removed the video down.
“Thanks, everyone, for your attention… I hope the outbreak ends soon and that my single sisters also find a relationship soon,” added Wang, who is still in search of a love connection.
Since last week, over 100 COVID-19 cases have been reported in Zhengzhou, as China tackles various local outbreaks of the Delta and Omicron strains.
Al Jazeera said several cities, including Xi’an, were placed under lockdown, trapping 14 million people inside their houses. Other cities, such as Tianjin, which has a population of 14 million people, have enforced limited quarantines for certain areas, while others have imposed mass testing.